Impact on parks due to government shutdown:
- All 401 national parks all across the country will be closed affecting as many as 715,000 national park visitors each day the government remains shutdown.
- More than 21,000 national park staff members will be furloughed meaning critical resource management, including important scientific monitoring to protect endangered species, will not happen.
- Due to closures, planned field trips will be cancelled denying teachers and students across the country access to our nation’s largest open classrooms.
Already have a national park trip planned?
- October is peak season for many tourists who travel to see the changing autumn leaves and enjoy all the parks have to offer in the Fall. If you have a trip planned to a national park during the closures, please contact your hotel or lodge directly. All reservation lines should remain open through the shutdown, providing up to date information about reservation status.
- The foundation urges people to speak to their congressmen and visit www.nationalparks.org