The Illinois Department of Natural Resources website is worth checking before heading out for a day in a park or to a favorite fishing spot or camping area.
Weather, projects and hunting seasons, such as the beginning of turkey season next week, affect access to certain parts of certain parks.
The DNR site that lists closings and alerts is at http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/alerts.html
Here’s just a sampling of some of the closings (or openings) listed Friday, April 12 by the DNR:
- Buffalo Rock State Park - The park is closed due to a down powerline. A portion of River Bluff trail at Buffalo Rock State Park is closed due to the erosion of the stairway.
Starved Rock State Park– A portion of the lower parking area, the road to the boat ramps and west picnic area have been reopened. Parts of the main parking areas remain closed for flood cleanup. The Visitor Center and all trails are opened. Trails are muddy and hikers are urged to use caution. Waterfalls are flowing. (A lock tender at Starved Rock Lock and Dam told us Friday the river level was 449 feet above sea level and that the last projection he saw was a 451-foot crest for the weekend; the river goes over the seawall at Starved Rock at 453 feet, but minor flooding occurs in low areas before that)
Shabbona Lake – The park and lake are on summer hours and open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Boating has begun.
-Hennepin Canal: - Beginning May 1st, there will be limited access to the Lock 21 use area due to a road enhancement project. Visitors to the area are encouraged and urged to be cautious of construction equipment when visiting the site.
-Hennepin Canal, west end - Lock 26 to Interstate 80 (4.3 miles) is impassable and signed closed due to heavy rains and washouts.
-Illini State Park at Marseilles - River Meadows, Ancient Oaks, Wildcat Bog day use areas closed. Sunrise Council, a CCC shelter, is closed indefinitely. Please call before visiting the park.
- Johnson Sauk Trail State Park, Kewanee – effective Nov. 1, 2012 the shower building and Lake Road will be closed.
- Johnson Sauk Trail State Park – Trails will be closed until 1 p.m. daily for turkey season April 15, 2013 through May 16, 2013.
- Morrison Rockwood State Park - Trails will be closed until 1 p.m. daily for turkey season April 15, 2013 through May 8, 2013.
-Pekin Lake- is closed to all vehicle access due to road deterioration, walk-in access is allowed.
- Powerton Lake – The Lake will be closed from Feb. 18, 2013 through May 2, 2013 for levee maintenance and repairs. No public access will be allowed during this time. This closure is at the request of Midwest Generation.PowertonLake will re-open on May 3, 2013 at 8 a.m.
- Rock Cut – Mountain bike and equestrian trails slated to open 4/1 will be closed until weather permits.
-Spring Lake- The south lane of the causeway bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic until further notice.