|2/5/2013 8:49:00 AM|
Conservation Congress meetings coming up
|Participants gather for a past Illinois Conservation Congress. Meetings are scheduled this month and next in advance of the statewide Conservation Congress session in September in Springfield.|
- Feb. 19-20, John A. Logan College, Carterville
- Feb. 26-27, Heartland Community College, Normal
- March 4-5, WIU Campus, Quad Cities Campus, Moline
- March 12-14, South Shore Cultural Center, Chicago
- March 21-22, Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville
SPRINGFIELD — Illinois citizens interested in natural resources protection and sustainable use, outdoor recreation, and conservation stewardship are invited to participate in the 2013 Illinois Conservation Congress.
In advance of the scheduled statewide Conservation Congress session in September in Springfield, the regional meetings are scheduled in February and March.
Conservation Congress provides Illinois residents a direct voice in protecting and enhancing natural resources, said Marc Miller, Illinois Department of Natural Resources director.
The mission of Illinois Conservation Congress is to give residents a process to propose and advocate actions that can be taken by elected and appointed officials to protect and conserve the natural resources. The goal is to ensure, through professional management, that sustainable use, recreational opportunities and enjoyment of these resources is available for this and future generations.
Regional meetings will address:
- Sustainable resource development and extraction, mines and minerals, water resources, forestry, etc.
- Sustainable resource harvest, outdoor recreation, wildlife and fish conservation, hunting, fishing, etc.
- Sustainable provision of outdoor recreation, recreational public access, state parks, etc.
- Sustainable resource protection, regulation, law enforcement, etc.
- Building bridges, developing new constituencies, professional development, improving and growing partnerships.
For more, check out web links below.
If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.