Friday, Nov. 1
- Utica Knights of Columbus first turkey dinner 4-7 p.m. $10 adult, $5 children 12 and under. Dave Stewart (815) 481-2314.
- American Legion Woman’s Auxiliary 125 of Princeton will conduct its annual toy drive through Dec. 7. Donated toys for ages 1-10 can be dropped off at the legion home, 1549 W. Peru St., Princeton. Toys collected will be distributed to the less fortunate children of the community through nonprofit organizations. For information, call chairman Sherry DeSalle at (815) 872-1417 evenings or call the post home and leave a message at (815) 872-1171.
- Friends of the Library will sponsor a “Giving Tree” during the 2013 holiday season at Graves-Hume Public Library, 1401 W. Main St., Mendota. The tree is a way to honor a special person, memorialize a loved one or gift a special person including a teacher, letter carrier or another. Donations will help decorate the FOL tree. Cut-out ornaments will be added to the tree for each donation with the donor’s name.
Ornaments can be purchased in increments of $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Money raised will be used to purchase materials for the library. Bookplates with the donor’s name will be placed inside the new materials. Donations will be divided equally between the adult and children’s department.
The Christmas tree is on display through New Year’s Day.
Saturday, Nov. 2
- Christ Community Church, 1719 S. Euclid Ave., Princeton, will have its third annual Christmas Craft and Vendor Market, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The market includes one-of-a-kind items from local artisans, gift ideas, door prizes, a silent auction and bake sale. For information, call (815) 879-3227.
- Fall Fling at Putnam County Community Center, 128 First St., Standard, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. There will be lunch, homemade bake sale, homemade noodles, pasta frittas and raffles
- St. Paul’s annual Soup ‘n Sandwich Luncheon, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Parish Hall, 344 Joliet St., La Salle, a tradition since the 1950s. Includes bake sale and raffle. The lunch menu features homemade vegetable soup, choice of sandwich, chips, beverage and pie. Tickets are available from any church member or at the door. The hall is handicapped accessible.
- Christ Family Church, 931 Third St., La Salle, are opening its Fall Fundraiser Soup Supper, 5:30-7 p.m., to the public. Committee members (below, from left) Joanne Slevin, Doreen Verucchi and Karen Watson are pictured making plans for the supper in the church fellowship hall in the lower level, which is handicap accessible. The event will include a choice of soup or chili, sandwich and dessert at $6 for adults, $3 children 10 years and older and free for children under 5. A country store with themed baskets also will be open. All of the food is homemade. For more information call (815) 224-1330.
Sunday, Nov. 3
- The annual Smorgasbord & Bake Sale sponsored by St. Patrick Church Altar & Rosary Society, Arlington, is 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in Bishop Franz Hall. The menu is turkey with dressing, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, salads, dessert and beverage. Adults are $8; children under 12 $3; and free for children under 5. Dinner tickets and raffle tickets can be purchased at the door. Carry-outs are available. There is a raffle drawing at 1 p.m. for a handmade quilt and other items. A door prize will be given.
Wednesday, Nov. 6
- Hennepin United Methodist Women’s annual Chicken and Biscuit Supper will be 5-7 p.m. in the church fellowship hall, Fifth and Court streets. The menu includes creamed chicken and biscuits, meatballs, mashed potatoes, salads, pie and beverage. Suggested donation is $7 for adults, $3 age 6-12 and free under age 6. for information, call (815) 925-7273.
Saturday/Sunday, Nov. 9-10
- ‘Tis the Season for the annual St. Margaret’s Hospital Gift Shop Christmas Open House, Spring Valley. For two days, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. patrons will receive 30 percent savings storewide that includes children’s clothing and Melissa and Doug toys; holiday jewelry; handbags; and Christmas ornaments and decorations. Homemade cookies, free gift wrap and free bow making are included.
Saturday, Nov. 9
- Holiday Craft and Vendor Fair, La Salle Knights of Columbus Hall, Second and Gooding streets, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Vendors include Scentsy, Tastefully Simple, Tupperware, Avon, Firehouse Dips, Made by Erin with Smailes and Love, Make me a Star Books and CDs, Thirty-one Gifts, Erica Smith Jewelry, Brittney Bly, 2 Tots in Tu Tus and more. Proceeds benefit the La Salle-Peru High School Choir’s trip to Carnegie Hall.
- Hall Township Food Pantry Holiday Vendor Fair as part of Spring Valley’s Christmas in the Valley at Spring Valley’s Community Center below City Hall, 215 N. Greenwood St. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Features a variety of products for gift-giving, complimentary Starbucks coffee and snacks. Proceeds benefit the food pantry as part of Project Success of Eastern Bureau County. For information, call Jean Bogacz at (815) 663-1356 or Project Success at (815) 663-2085.
Tuesday, Nov. 12
- Holiday Festival of Fashion style show and purse auction sponsored by Heritage Health and Illinois Valley Hospice a department of Illinois Valley Community Hospital at Senica’s Oak Ridge, La Salle. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. with a purse preview until 7 p.m. Tickets are $25 per person, includes hors d’oeuvres and desserts. Cash bar. Entertainment by Steve Sharp. Tickets are available at IV Hospice, Heritage Health, La Salle and Peru, IVCH West Street Entrance or call (815) 224-1307. Fashion show participants include Sears, Tri-City Frocke Shop, Kohls, Little Fashion Avenue, Christopher & Banks, C.J. Banks and Peaces of Fashion Boutique.
Friday, Saturday, Nov. 15-16
- Parish of the Nativity of Our Lord Pie & Bake Sale 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the church, 510 Richard A. Mautino Drive, Spring Valley. Features homemade pies, cream puffs and other homemade items.
Saturday, Nov. 16
- Dalzell Grade School third annual Feather Bingo night at Dalzell Fire Station. Doors open 5:30 p.m., bingo starts at 7 p.m.
Admission is $1 for children and students — adults cards are $2 each or three for $5. Participants can win frozen turkeys and chickens, door prizes, 50/50 drawing and raffles.
The event is open to the public and all ages. There will be sandwiches and desserts for sale. For questions, call Amy Booth at (815) 228-8373.
- Putnam County Community Center, 128 First St., Standard, will have a vendor fair 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Tables are $20 for a 6-foot banquet table. Space is limited. Call (815) 339-2711.
Sunday, Nov. 17
- Lostant Public Library Christmas sale 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at the American Legion Hall on Main Street. Includes everything Christmas — ornaments, trees, lights, knick-knacks and numerous Lenox Christmas collector plates. Most items are gently-used but some are new. To benefit Lostant Community Library. For more information, call the library at (815) 368-3530.
- Standard Women’s Auxiliary bus trip to Woodfield Mall, Shaumburg. Bus will leave Putnam County Community Center, First Street, Standard, at 7:30 a.m. and pick up at the former Kmart in Peru at 8 a.m. Bus will stop at R Place in Morris for breakfast. The cost is $30. Call (815) 339-2320 or (815) 339-2457 for information and to reserve a seat.
Saturday, Nov. 23
- Friends of Strays will have a Holiday Bake and Christmas sale 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Prouty Building, 435 S. Main St.,, Princeton.
Saturday, Sunday, Nov. 23-24
- US Silica is sponsoring Easter Seals of La Salle & Bureau Counties Festival of Trees 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 23-24 at Celebrations 150, La Salle. Decorated Christmas trees will be on display for all events. The trees will be auctioned during the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party along with other items. Trees range in size from 4 to 9 foot. Sponsorships and decorators are needed. The festival is three events — Merry Market, Ugly Christmas Sweater Party and Holly Jolly Breakfast.
The Merry Market, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday will have close to 30 crafters, artisans and vendors. Admission is $3. Food will be available.
The Ugly Christmas Sweater Party is 7-11 p.m. Saturday. Prizes will be awarded for the ugliest sweater. Refreshments, drink and dancing are available. The tree auction will take place and an ugly sweater auction. Tickets are $25 and includes a drink ticket, appetizers and commemorative booklet.
Holly Jolly Breakfast, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, will serve pancakes, sausage, juice and milk with Santa and his elves. Children can visit with Santa. La Salle-Peru Kiwanis Club’s Christmas Village, crafts and storytelling are included. Tickets are $10 and include breakfast, photo and crafts.
To get tickets in advance for the Ugly Sweater Party and Holly Jolly Breakfast, call Easter Seals at (815) 434-0857, e-mail email@example.com or at Financial Plus Credit Union in Peru and Ottawa.
Sunday, Dec. 1
- Holiday House Walk benefiting Cops 4 Cancer, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Homes in La Salle and surrounding area will be available for tours including the newly-remodeled St. Roch’s Church and other homes decorated for the holidays. Holiday music will be provided by students and teachers from Music suite 408. Participants can register for gift cards and a holiday wreath. Tickets are $15 and available at La Salle City Hall, Eureka Savings Bank, La Salle, LilyPads Resale, Peru and Shear Wizards, Peru. For questions, call Sandie Murdock at (815) 326-0977.
Saturday, Dec. 7
- United Church of Christ Congregational, Erie and Power streets, Spring Valley, will have its traditional cookie walk 7:30 a.m.-noon. Varieties of holiday cookies and candies will be offered in a select-your-own style. Homemade peanut brittle will be sold for $6.50 per bag. Handmade crafts also will be available. For information, call the church office at (815) 663-1951.
- Spring Valley United Church of Christ, 227 E. Erie St, annual cookie walk is 8 a.m.-noon while supplies last. Attendees can pick their own cookies from a large variety for $6.50 a pound. The group also sells its “World Famous” peanut brittle at $6.50 a pound. Use the alley entrance. Peanut Brittle can be obtained anytime by calling the church at (815) 663-1951.
- 17th annual Christmas Cookie Walk sponsored by Women on a Mission Group of Hennepin United Methodist Church will begin at 8 a.m. in the church Fellowship Hall, Fifth and Court streets, Hennepin. A variety of Christmas cookies will be sold for $6.50 per pound. Advance orders can be placed by calling (815) 925-7253 or (815) 925-7252. Proceeds are donated to local charities.
- Breakfast with Santa, 9 a.m.-noon, at St. Bede Academy. $15 per person child or adult includes breakfast of eggs, pancakes, sausage, coffee and juice, crafts, ride on Polar Express, storytelling. Picture or picture CD with Santa are $5 each. Proceeds benefit St. Bede cheerleaders. Tickets can be purchased from a cheerleader or at the development office or the day of the event. Tickets are limited. For information call (815) 223-3140 and ask for Jeannie or call Jodi Slingsby at (815) 339-2821.
- ‘Light Up the Holidays’ 2013 Ladd Christmas Walk, 3-7 p.m. Snowman parade at 5 p.m.; Lighting contest, children’s games, crafts, storyteller, face painting; student musicians and carolers, bell ringers, horse and wagon rides; Grace the white tale deer; food vendors, local artisans and gifts; Christmas wreaths and garlands for sale, Holiday prize hunt at Ladd businesses, pictures with Santa; raffles, prizes, food, mailbox for letters to North Pole. (815) 894-2092, 488-8245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, Dec. 8
- Holiday Bazaar & Bake Shoppe 8 a.m.-noon at Marquette Academy High School campus, 1000 Paul St., Ottawa. Fresh wreaths and poinsettias, handmade gift items, gourmet baked foods, academy spirit wear and local vendors. Admission is free.
All-you-can-eat pancake and sausage breakfast served in the cafeteria 7:30-11 a.m. Ages 6-12 are $5; 12 and older are $8. There also is a cash raffle for $10. First prize is $500, second $250 and third $100. All proceeds benefit May Merriment XXXII.
- Home for the Holidays Christmas House Walk will be 1-5 p.m. presented by St. Margaret’s Hospital Foundation, Spring Valley.
Six homes, aglow with holiday decorations, will open their doors to visitors for self-guided tours. The personality of each home will illuminate as homeowners create holiday magic.
Ticket price is $25 per person with St. Margaret’s Gift Shop serving hot tea and homemade cookies during the house walk. Advance sales only. No tickets will be sold at the house walk. Tickets are available at the following businesses: Hy-Vee, Peru, Hackman Insurance, Dr. Lee Ceresa’s office, Tri-City Frock Shoppe, Studio 718, August Hill Winery, Spring Valley City Bank and St. Margaret’s Gift Shop.
Wednesday, Dec. 11
- The 32nd annual Presbyterian Women’s Come to Christmas Tea, “She Shall Bring Forth a Son,” will begin at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11 in the sanctuary at Waltham Presbyterian Church, 809 N. 3450th Road, Utica. This is a time for reflection, music and fellowship. Childcare is provided. The theme will be interpreted through choral, instrumental, scripture, Chrismons and prayer. The Rev. Howard C. Smith, pastor, will provide mediation. Alan Peters will direct the women’s ensemble. Fellowship and refreshments will follow. Bev Scharlau and Mary Small are co-moderators of Presbyterian Women. In case of inclement weather, call (815) 667-4373, (815) 667-4970 or listen to local radio stations.
Friday, Dec. 13
- Zion United Church of Christ Holiday Cookie and Bake Sale beginning at 3 p.m. at 1521 Sixth St., Peru. Sale includes a variety of German cookies including almond and cinnamon stars, date-nut pinwheels, lebkuchen, pfeffernusse and springerles, decorated cutouts, holiday breads, coffee cakes, pies and candy. Customers make their own selections. For information, call Dona Ostermeyer at (815) 223-1446.
Friday/Saturday, Dec. 13-14
- Trinity United Church of Christ, 829 Fourth St., La Salle, will have its annual cookie walk 3-7 p.m. Friday and 8-11 a.m. Saturday. For information, call (815) 223-8631.
Saturday, Dec. 14
- Sacred Heart Christmas Cookie Sale sponsored by the Altar and Rosary Society of Sacred Heart Parish, Granville, will host its 11th annual cookie sale beginning at 8 a.m. in the parish hall at 206 N. School St.. Assorted goodies will be sold on a first-come basis at a cost of $5 per pound. Italian succarines also will be available for $10 per pound.
Saturday, Dec. 21
- Kris Kringle Cookie Sale, 8-11 a.m. St. Joseph Parish Halle, Fifth and Schuyler streets, Peru.