The North Central College softball team is off to its best start in school history at 16-0, and a local athlete has been leading the charge for the Cardinals.
Amanda Walker (Fr., Ottawa) is currently second on the team in hitting with a .417 average and is tied for the team lead with three home runs. She also has four doubles, a triple, 15 RBIs and 16 runs scored.
Walker went 2-for-2 with a double, a home run and two RBIs in a 14-2 win over Monmouth College on Saturday.
Monmouth’s Bailey Roberts (Fr., BV) hit a home run in the loss. She is hitting .368 with a double, a home run, four RBIs and four runs scored this season. Monmouth teammate Sam Sons (Sr., St. Bede) is hitting .143 with a double and five RBIs with seven runs scored.
- Trinity Christian College’s Anna Phillips (So., BV) leads the team in hitting with a .426 average and also has two triples, six RBIs and a team-high 11 runs scored. She also leads the team with six stolen bases.
- Millikin University’s Rachel Kindred (So., Ottawa) is batting .375 with a double and six RBIs in 24 at-bats.
- Bradley University’s Brittany Burgess (So., St. Bede) is batting .268 with two RBIs and 14 runs scored.
- The University of Missouri-St. Louis’ Katie Schultz (Fr., Fieldcrest) is hitting .264 with three doubles, a triple, four RBIs and nine runs scored.
- Western Illinois University’s Kelsey Michelini (Sr., L-P) is 3-7 with a 4.82 ERA in 74 innings pitched. She has 47 walks and 51 strikeouts.
- Illinois State University’s Kelsey Turczyn (So., L-P) is hitting .200 with an RBI and a run scored in five at-bats.
- Graceland University’s Alyssa James (Sr., Princeton) is hitting .186 with three doubles, two RBIs and two runs scored.
- Beloit College’s Bethany Stavrakas (Fr., St. Bede) is hitting .139 with two runs scored.
- Lincoln College’s Taylor Hewitt (Fr., BV) had a hit in an 11-8 loss to Lincoln Land Community College on March 23.
- Rockford College’s Sara Smoode (Jr., Hall) is hitting .062 with an RBI in 17 at-bats.
South Dakota State University’s Reid Clary (So., Princeton) is hitting .370 with two doubles, two triples and five RBIs with three runs scored.
- Tiffin University’s Nick Hueneburg (So., St. Bede) is hitting .329 with four doubles, a triple, two home runs and a team-high 16 RBIs.
- Illinois State University’s Dave Suarez (Jr., L-P) is 0-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 9 1/3 innings. He has three walks and seven strikeouts. Teammate Matt Schmitt (Sr., L-P) is 0-0 with a 9.00 ERA and one walk and four strikeouts in five innings.
- Southern Illinois University’s Lee Weld (RS Jr., Fieldcrest) is 2-1 with a 3.48 ERA in 10 1/3 innings. He has nine walks and 14 strikeouts.
- Valparaiso University’s Karch Kowalczyk (RS Jr., L-P) has two saves and a 0.00 ERA in 7 2/3 innings. He has two walks and four strikeouts.
- North Park University’s Zak Worsley (So., Marquette) is hitting .224 with four doubles, two triples, nine RBIs and a team-high 20 runs scored.
- McKendree University’s Josh Tonozzi (Fr., Putnam County) is 2-1 with a 2.79 ERA in 19 1/3 innings. He has five walks and eight strikeouts to go along with one save.
- Heartland Community College’s Mason Snyder (So., Marquette) is hitting .391 with four doubles and 11 RBIs.
- Illinois Central College’s Jason Condit (So., Henry) is 2-1 with a 3.96 ERA in 25 innings. He has eight walks and 25 strikeouts.
- Monmouth College’s Brik Wedekind (Jr., Princeton) is 0-2 with a 3.13 ERA in 23 innings. He has 11 walks and 16 strikeouts. Teammate Andrew Baudino (Jr., Ottawa) is hitting .245 with eight RBIs and three runs scored.
- Roosevelt University’s Nathan Greene (Jr., Ottawa/IVCC) is batting .231 with a triple and five RBIs.
- St. Ambrose University’s Michael Lynch (Fr., L-P) is 0-1 with a 2.70 ERA in 6 2/3 innings. He has three walks, six strikeouts and one save.
- Rockford College’s Kyle Pisano (Jr., L-P) is 1-0 with a 4.80 ERA in 15 innings. He has four walks and nine strikeouts. Teammate Zac Wolf (Sr., L-P) is 0-1 with a 12.00 ERA in nine innings. He has five walks and four strikeouts.
- Waubonsee Community College’s Ryan Dornink (Fr., Mendota) is 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA in four innings. He has four walks and three strikeouts.
- Parkland College’s Jake Sale (Fr., Putnam County) is 0-0 with a 13.00 ERA in three innings pitched. He has four walks and three strikeouts.
- North Central College’s John King (Jr., BV) is 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA with one strikeout in one inning pitched.
Track and field
North Central College’s Adam Weidner (Fr., BV) won the shot put with a throw of 48 feet, 2 inches and placed sixth in the discus (138-8) at the North Central First Chance Invitational on March 28-29.
- Monmouth College’s Jake Barr (Sr., Mendota) placed ninth in the 10,000 meters (a personal-best 31:24.65) at the Washington University Invitational on Friday and Saturday. The time also is ranked 19th in the nation in NCAA Division III.
- There were plenty of familiar faces at the Southern Illinois University Bill Cornell Spring Classic on Friday. Illinois State University’s Kendall Rush (Sr., Hall) finished fourth in the triple jump (38-8.75) and ninth in the long jump (17-0), while teammate Kimi Sanden (Fr., BV) was 13th in the 800 meters (2:19.83).
ISU’s Luke Wielgopolan (Sr., Ottawa) was eighth in the hammer throw with a personal-best throw of 182-3, and teammate Scott Janusick (So., Hall) placed 27th in the 1,500 meters (4:11.55) and 35th in the 800 meters (2:03.12).
Bradley University’s Nick Skromme (Sr., Marquette) placed 10th in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (10:06.83), while Eastern Illinois University’s Derrick Johnson (Fr., BV) placed 18th in the 5,000 meters (15:43.85). Skromme also was 17th in the 2,000-meter steeplechase (6:29.91) at the Vanderbilt Black and Gold Invite on March 22-23.
A week earlier at the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougar Invite, ISU’s Rush placed third in the triple jump (36-7), fifth in the long jump (17-1.25) and was part of the 400-meter relay team that placed first (49.71). Teammate Laura Fredenhagen (Fr., Princeton) placed seventh in the pole vault (10-0).
On the men’s side, ISU’s Wielgopolan placed fifth in the hammer throw (165-02) and seventh in the discus (138-09), while Janusick finished sixth in the 1,500 meters (4:16.14) and eighth in the 800 meters (2:09.45).
- Augustana College’s Lorraine Stamberger (So., LaMoille) was part of the 3,200-meter relay team that placed first (9:59.21) and also placed seventh in the 1,500 meters (5:04.13) at the Augustana Viking Olympics on March 23. Judson University’s Justine McDowell (Jr., Mendota) placed ninth in the 3,000 meters (11:28.42), while teammate Cassie Criminger (Jr., BV) placed 25th in the 1,500 meters (5:48.22).
Stamberger also placed 11th in the 800 meters (2:24.35) at the Augustana Easter Open on March 28.
- Greenville College’s Coree Woltering (Sr., Ottawa) placed 14th in the 400 meters (51.71), 16th in the 800 meters (2:01.40) and was part of the 1,600-meter relay team that placed eighth (3:37.40) at the Washington University Mini Meet on March 22.
- North Park University’s Natalie Swanson (Fr., BV) placed fifth in the javelin (79-3), sixth in the shot put (34-0) and seventh in the discus (108-7) at the St. Joseph College Edmonds Invitational on March 23.
- King College’s Tom Lamkin (So., Mendota) placed 10th in the discus (122-6), 12th in the hammer throw (109-8) and 15th in the shot put (34-8.5) at the Western Carolina Catamount Classic on March 22-23.
- The United States Naval Academy’s Brandon Swindler (Jr., L-P) placed second in the hammer throw (167-10) at a quadrangular meet on March 23.
- Iowa Western Community College’s Cody Taylor (So., BV) finished 11th in the 800 meters (2:05.61) at the Wayne State Wildcat Classic on Friday and Saturday.
Central College’s Jon Prescott (So., Mendota) tied for third overall with a two-round score of 148 (75-73) at the Graceland University Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
- Monmouth College’s Eric Farrell (Jr., Ottawa) tied for 27th with a two-round score of 159 (76-83) at the Monmouth Fighting Scots Invitational on Friday and Saturday. Teammate Evan Bean (Fr., Putnam County) placed 45th with a two-round score of 171 (88-83).
- Olivet Nazarene University’s Gwen Holmes (Sr., Princeton) tied for 13th with a two-round score of 171 (82-89) at the University of St. Francis Spring Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
- Quincy University’s Bekki Prokup (Jr., St. Bede) shot a two-round score of 194 (94-100) at the Perry Park Spring Fling on March 23.
St. Louis College of Pharmacy’s Andy Sickley (Fr., L-P) won 8-2 at No. 3 doubles in a 6-3 win over Berea College and then won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5 singles in a 5-1 win over Kaskaskia College on Saturday.
- The University of Illinois-Springfield’s Nick Decker (Jr., L-P) won 8-3 at No. 3 doubles in a 5-4 win over Quincy University March 23.
Jackie Pokryfke can be reached at 220-6939 or at email@example.com.