LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : local   May 24, 2016

4/25/2013 5:47:00 AM
Former Con-Way worker allegedly threatened 13 facilities


Tom Collins
NewsTribune Senior Reporter



An Oglesby man facing federal bomb-threat charges allegedly threatened as many as 13 facilities operated by Con-Way Freight — and did so through online postings claiming to have also bombed the Boston Marathon.
Rodney J. Termini, 47, of 444 W. First St. has been identified in federal court records as a former contract employee of Con-Way Freight in La Salle. He will appear Friday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois for a “removal proceeding” that could send his case to federal court in Detroit.
There, he awaits charges for making online bomb threats to Con-Way’s corporate headquarters in Ann Arbor, Mich., 11 more Con-Way facilities in Michigan and/or the location in La Salle.
A special agent for the FBI said in a sworn statement that a Con-Way employee in Ann Arbor received on April 15 two e-mail notifications from Facebook which indicated the company’s Facebook page had received posted messages. The notices came in at 6:16 p.m. EDT, right on the heels of the Boston bombings that killed three.
“HEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!! I TOOK CARE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON AND NOW I TAKE CARE OF CONWAY IN MICHIGAN AND LASALLE.”
A second, truncated notice stated: “(There is) a bomb at one of your facilities, having fun finding it.”
Both threats prompted an April 15 police search of the La Salle facility, located on U.S. 6. No explosive devices were found.
Special agent Sean Nicol said in his sworn statement he obtained registry information on the e-mails and an accompanying Facebook account. The information, he said, led him to an AT&T account registered to Rodney Termini of Oglesby.
Nicol also noted in his statement that Termini became a person of interest because he previously was convicted of mailing threatening communications on or about Feb. 21, 1996, and May 21, 1996. He was sentenced to 5 months’ home confinement.
On April 16, FBI agents from Chicago executed a search warrant of Termini’s home. Nicol said Termini provided a voluntary statement in which he “confessed to creating a Facebook account, and posting the threatening Facebook statements regarding the Boston Marathon bombing and the bomb at a Con-Way facility.”
Termini was picked up at 12:08 p.m. Tuesday by La Salle and Oglesby police on a federal warrant for a threat to bomb, according to a La Salle police report issued Wednesday.

Tom Collins can be reached at (815) 220-6930 or courtreporter@newstrib.com.








Related Stories:
• Oglesby man faces federal charges in bomb threat





Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






Mayor's tax bill to jump 9% if L-p passes referendum
Updated: 5/23/2016 8:46:00 PM
Valley voters to decide on sales tax increase
Updated: 5/23/2016 8:31:00 PM
Working from home: Does it work?
Girls track and field: Hickey wins 800 state title
For the Record (5-23-2016): Births, police reports
Girls track and field: Zimmerlein wins three medals


Illinois Valley Events
<
May
>
SMTWTFS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved