LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : north central illinois   April 30, 2016

2/12/2014 2:59:00 PM
Firefighters rush to Arlington


NT Staff




ARLINGTON — Instead of a house ablaze, firefighters from northeast Bureau County discovered steam and a possible leak in a wood-burning stove exhaust when they were called about a carbon monoxide alarm and smoke in rural Arlington on Tuesday.

No fire or smoke damage and no injuries were reported in the incident at about 3 p.m. at 20813 2050 North Ave., between Arlington and Cherry.

However, firefighters discovered damage, or at least a mechanical problem, for one Arlington fire truck.

Arlington’s No. 1 water tanker, a rebuilt 1993 truck that can haul 3,000 gallons of water to rural fires, may have a blown head gasket, fire chief Nick Drummer said. He said the engine overheated and died, and the truck had a similar overheating problem a year ago.

Arlington still has a backup water truck, and the fire department automatically calls neighboring Cherry and LaMoille departments when it has a fire. The departments work together and practice together, so the fire district residents should rest assured that water will be available if needed, Drummer indicated.

Arlington called for assistance from Cherry and LaMoille when the call came in about smoke seen near the eaves. Drummer said firefighters carrying carbon monoxide detectors entered the home and did not find elevated CO levels. He said there was a small hole in a stack from a wood burner, and there also may have been some steam rising from where the warm stack was near snow and ice along the roofline.

He said the home’s carbon monoxide detector was about eight years old, and they should be replaced more frequently than that.












Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






Saturday morning car tunes at area career center auto show (VIDEO)
Updated: 4/30/2016 11:38:00 AM
Two people injured in Peru fire
Updated: 4/30/2016 11:57:00 AM
No more dead money in the cemetery fund
County board won't decide on consolidation of clerk and recorder offices
Donation means new equipment for the Y
What the ruck? 'The mystery is the attraction'


Illinois Valley Events
<
April
>
SMTWTFS
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved