LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : local   May 27, 2016

4/25/2014 6:11:00 AM
Peru business fire caused by cigarette


Firefighters attack the rear of the Suarez & Associates building Thursday after fire broke out from a discarded cigarette.NewsTribune photo/Jeff Dankert
+ click to enlarge

Firefighters attack the rear of the Suarez & Associates building Thursday after fire broke out from a discarded cigarette.
NewsTribune photo/Jeff Dankert

Smoke obscures the front of the Suarez & Associates insurance and investments office on Peoria Street in Peru.
NewsTribune photo/Scott Anderson
+ click to enlarge

Smoke obscures the front of the Suarez & Associates insurance and investments office on Peoria Street in Peru.

NewsTribune photo/Scott Anderson

Jeff Dankert
NewsTribune Reporter



A surveillance camera revealed a discarded cigarette in a cardboard box filled with dirt caused the fire Thursday at the Suarez & Associates building, police chief Doug Bernabei said.

Fire and smoke heavily damaged the building and there were no injuries. Bernabei, Peru fire chief Jeff King and a state fire marshal investigated the fire, Bernabei said.

“We have surveillance video that we were able to view last evening that captured the events,” Bernabei said. “There’s no question about it that the fire was accidental in nature.”

There were two makeshift ashtrays outside the rear of the business. One was a plastic vase and the other was a cardboard box, both filled with dirt. The employee, a man, placed the cigarette in the cardboard box, according to Bernabei and King.

“An employee of Suarez had been smoking a cigarette at the rear outside of the building,” Bernabei said. “The employee disposed of the cigarette in somewhat of a homemade ashtray and believed the cigarette was out.”

After the man put the cigarette in the box, the business closed up for the day around noon.

The cigarette started a fire in the box which spread to the building, Bernabei said.

“The fire burned the outside of the building and the door and worked its way inside the building,” Bernabei said. “And it burned for approximately 1½ hours before it was discovered by Chief King who was driving south on Peoria Street.”

After King spotted the smoke and called it in, firefighters broke into the locked building to extinguish the fire. They soon focused their efforts at the rear of the insurance and financial services business at 1513 Peoria St.

Owner Joe Suarez said Friday morning he was in Puerto Rico on Thursday and was just learning the details. The fire caused “expensive damage” and he plans to rebuild, Suarez said.

King called the fire in at 1:33 p.m.

La Salle, Spring Valley and Oglesby firefighters responded and Utica firefighters covered the Peru fire station. Firefighters were dismissed at 6:33 p.m.

Jeff Dankert can be reached at (815) 220-6977 or perureporter@newstrib.com.












Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






VIDEO: Baseball Regionals: L-P 1, Normal U-High 0
Updated: 5/26/2016 8:39:00 PM
Teen flown to Peoria after accident while fixing car
Updated: 5/26/2016 6:55:00 PM
Congressman weighs in on Democrat move in Springfield
'The least we can do is take care of them'
Peru announces summer road work and detours
E-smoking isn't allowed in school either


Illinois Valley Events
<
May
>
SMTWTFS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved