La Salle-Peru Township High School board on Wednesday adopted policy updates exempting school property from the permission to carry a concealed weapon.
“If someone is licensed to have a concealed carry, they can’t bring it out of their vehicle on school property, unless they’re part of an exempt group, like law enforcement,” said superintendent Steven Wrobleski. “They have to keep it concealed in their car.”
The school has placed “guns not allowed” signs on its doors. Wrobleski isn’t worried that the signs will make the school look like a target for someone with malicious intent.
“Most rational educated people know you don’t bring guns to school,” Wrobleski said, adding that L-P has an armed resource officer from La Salle Police Department on the property.
* Also, the board accepted Tax Increment Financing District reimbursements from the city of La Salle totaling $7,451.21.
The board also voted to:
* Accept a credit of $184,229.99 from Vissering Construction Co.
* Approve a health/life safety cost of $356,964 for main building restroom and parking lot renovation.
* Approve a health/life safety appeal for $6,000 to cover insurance deductible for main building lightning strike.
* Approve a health/life safety emergency resolution for repairs to a main water line into the boiler house.
* Approve a health/life safety cost of $26,844 for east gym/industrial education building parking lot renovation.
* Approve a health/life safety cost of $38,004 — approximately two-thirds of which L-P is responsible for, as Area Career Center services are shared by multiple districts — for auto shop parking lot renovation.
* Approve Gorenz and Associates for fiscal year 2015 audit services for L-P and the Area Career Center.
* Approve the establishment of an activity fund account for auditorium sound system upgrades, to be paid with a $15,000 donation from the L-P Foundation.
* Approve a resolution to sell unused, worn-out musical instruments. A profit of more than $6,000 is expected if all the instruments are sold, and the money would be used to update the lockers and other amenities in the band room.
* Approve paternity leave for Kent Graff (business education) on or about Jan. 27.
* Approve the appointments of Doug Kurkowski as volunteer wrestling coach, Scott Shirley as volunteer assistant softball coach, Hannah Huebbe as volunteer assistant softball coach, Alexandra West as assistant girls’ track coach and Paul Perretta as assistant boys’ track coach.
Rachel Stella can be reached at (815) 220-6933 or email@example.com.