LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : local   April 30, 2016

3/11/2013 2:03:00 PM
Grease fire injures Valley woman


The stove and hood were damaged after the fire at 10 Janie Ave. #7, Spring Valley.Submitted photo
+ click to enlarge
The stove and hood were damaged after the fire at 10 Janie Ave. #7, Spring Valley.
Submitted photo
Spring Valley firefighters clear the unit of smoke with a fan.Submitted photo
+ click to enlarge
Spring Valley firefighters clear the unit of smoke with a fan.
Submitted photo
Alicia LeGrand-Riniker
NewsTribune Reporter



The Spring Valley Fire Department responded to a grease fire at 2 p.m. on Sunday at 10 Janie Ave #7, Spring Valley. The fire department arrived with two engines and Ladd responded with one engine and five firefighters as part of the mutual aid agreement. The Spring Valley Police Department also assisted on the call.

Fire Chief Todd Bogatitus said when he arrived on the scene he was approached by Kathleen Bebej, 66, who had burns on her hand and said her residence was on fire. Bebej said she had tried to carry the pan which was on fire out of house when she burnt her hand. Bogatitus called the 10-33 ambulance to transport Bebej to St. Margaret’s Hospital in Spring Valley. Bebej was treated and released and in stable condition.

Bogatitus said the fire was small, but smoke filled the house. However, it was contained to the unit and the other residents were not evacuated. The stove and hood where damaged and there were burn spots on the carpet.

Bogatitus wanted to remind residents grease fires are dangerous and no one should try to put one out with water or take it out of house, but remove it from the heat source and smother.

“The best way to put out a grease fire is to smother it, never use water,” said Bogatitus.












Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






Rural King-sized crowd (VIDEO)
Updated: 4/30/2016 2:20:00 PM
Saturday morning car tunes at area career center auto show (VIDEO)
Updated: 4/30/2016 11:38:00 AM
Two people injured in Peru fire
No more dead money in the cemetery fund
County board won't decide on consolidation of clerk and recorder offices
Donation means new equipment for the Y


Illinois Valley Events
<
April
>
SMTWTFS
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved