DALZELL — Smoldering parts inside a furnace caused a Dalzell home to fill with smoke Friday night, but no damage was reported to the home and fire department fans quickly removed the smoke, according to Dalzell fire chief Dick Croissant.
He said some parts of the furnace were smoking and some plastic fittings somewhere inside the “very old” furnace were melting or burning.
“Actually, there was no heat in there once we shut the furnace off. What it did is it kept burning and burning and burning even though we shut the electric off and we had to shut the gas off so it would quit firing,” Croissant said. “The basement was full of smoke, the whole house was full of smoke. It was like sooty smoke.”
The owners of the home at 123 Saunders St., Don and Janice Nowakowski, were able to return to the home soon after the incident.
Croissant said firefighters were on the scene for a little more than an hour after the call that came in at about 7:20 p.m. John’s Service and Sales came to check on the furnace, and Peru Fire Department “came out with a thermal imaging camera to make sure there were no hot spots in it,” Croissant said.