LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : news   April 29, 2016

2/27/2014 11:24:00 PM
Neighborhood near veterans home disrupted by gas leak


La Salle firefighters prevent traffic from nearing a gas main rupture at Crosat Street and O'Conor Avenue on Thursday afternoon.NewsTribune photo/Chris Yucus
+ click to enlarge
La Salle firefighters prevent traffic from nearing a gas main rupture at Crosat Street and O'Conor Avenue on Thursday afternoon.
NewsTribune photo/Chris Yucus
Rachel Stella
Media Editor



Portions of residential roads were closed Thursday afternoon in La Salle for a gas leak at O’Conor Avenue and Crosat Street.

City workers had been working to repair a water main break in the area, and their activity caused the gas main leak, public works director Jeff Bumgarner said.

“Apparently, we nicked the line just a little bit,” Bumgarner said, adding that he hadn’t yet seen the site and was relaying information from others.

Bumgarner said the fire and police departments were called, as well as Ameren Illinois, and the city workers moved away from the scene.

The staff members at the Illinois Veterans Home on O’Conor Avenue were told just before 3 p.m. they could not leave, in case the residents needed to be evacuated, according to Kemp Smith, who was visiting the home with his therapy dog. Residents also were told to stop smoking, Smith said.

“They stopped smoking in the canteen, and they’re not letting anybody out,” Smith said.

Ameren crews were at the site, trying to isolate the section of the line, Ameren Illinois spokeswoman Stacey Shangraw said.

No evacuations were necessary, according to the mayor’s office. The fire department is asking any resident who smells a strong natural gas odor to call the fire department at (815) 223-0834.

The fire department also asks people to avoid the neighborhood until repair is made.












Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






First 'revenge porn' case filed in La Salle County Circuit Court
Updated: 4/29/2016 1:16:00 PM
Two new ambulances give Peru versatility
Updated: 4/29/2016 1:10:00 PM
Laser-pointer trial set for Monday
Area Roundup: Lady Red Devils track sneaks by with win
Prep of the Week: La Salle-Peru's Quincie Weber
Briefs: Owlsley resigns at Henry-Midland


Illinois Valley Events
<
April
>
SMTWTFS
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved