A gas leak Wednesday afternoon at MC Sports in Peru Place Shopping Centre caused employees to evacuate and Peru Fire Department and Ameren utilities to investigate.
The leak response happened at about 4 p.m.
Ameren representatives informed Peru Fire Department that wind evidently caused a gas line on top of the roof either to vibrate and break or caused a wood block (upon which an gas line had been resting) to move, according to Peru fire Capt. Rick Abbott. The break was discovered near a rooftop heating unit.
Abbott said Ameren inspectors told the fire department the installers of the gas lines did not anchor them properly. Abbott said the gas lines lead from the back of the building up to the roof.
He said firefighters shut off the gas as soon as they arrived. He said at least five Ameren employees responded to the scene and, once on the roof, removed the bad line back to a coupling and then capped off the line.
Abbott said he learned the gas company’s responsibility for repair ends at the gas meter, though the company takes care of finding and stopping leaks. He said re-installing the gas properly will be the responsibility of the business or building owner. He said the gas lines were set up after Wal-Mart vacated the building to move to the new Super Wal-Mart site north of Interstate 80.
The store was allowed to reopen after about an hour, as soon as the gas line was cut off and the building was deemed safe, Abbott said.