LaSalle News Tribune | LaSalle, IL
 
close
Due to weather related issues, in some areas there may be delayed deliveries of your Monday issue of the NewsTribune.
If road conditions are severe enough, your delivery person may not be able to deliver your NewsTribune at all on Monday.
In this case, your Monday edition will be delivered with your Tuesday newspaper.
We ask you to be understanding for the safety of our carriers.

You can view Tuesday's newspaper online at http://newstribonline.com
 


home : news : local   May 29, 2016

1/16/2013 8:49:00 AM
Knocked-over candle leads to house fire in La Salle


La Salle and Peru firefighters extinguished a second-floor fire at a rental home at 231 Second St., La Salle on Tuesday night. NewsTribune photo/Amanda Whitlock
+ click to enlarge
La Salle and Peru firefighters extinguished a second-floor fire at a rental home at 231 Second St., La Salle on Tuesday night.

NewsTribune photo/Amanda Whitlock
Matthew Baker
Staff Writer



A La Salle rental home was damaged in a fire Tuesday night.
Firefighters were called shortly before 8 p.m. to the Mike Johnson residence at 231 Second St., where a fire had begun on the second floor.
One of the six children in the home accidentally knocked over a candle, which ignited the fire, said fire chief Andy Bacidore.
Those children and an adult who were in the home at the time the fire broke out evacuated before crews arrived on the scene, according to the fire department.
“I think they’re at a relative’s home right now, but Red Cross is helping them out,” Bacidore said.
For a little more than two hours, firefighters from La Salle and Peru fought the fire. A Utica fire crew covered La Salle’s station during the fire.
“The knockdown went really quick,” Bacidore said.
While the initial flames were quickly extinguished, Bacidore said it took some time to make sure all remaining hot spots were knocked down and the fire wasn’t hiding in any walls. The icy conditions outside also slowed the process.
The second floor was considerably damaged, he said. The first floor received smoke and water damage.
The owner of the home lives in Houston, Texas.

Matthew Baker can be reached at (815) 220-6933, or lasallereporter@newstrib.com.












Login to your account:
  Username:
  Password:
Remember me
Login reminder
  If you'd like to comment on this article, please log in or click here to subscribe.


 

Subscription Login
LOGIN | SUBSCRIBE






A Memorial Day more than 128 years in the making
Updated: 5/28/2016 2:52:00 PM
Juvenile taken to medical center after striking a train engine
Updated: 5/28/2016 1:19:00 PM
Graveyard rejuvenation
Boys State Track: Two 2A kids advance to finals
Briefs: Three Rivers softball releases all-conference
State police on the lookout for DUI and seat belt use


Illinois Valley Events
<
May
>
SMTWTFS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        



Photo GalleryVideo LibraryMagazinesDealsAbout UsAP Terms of UseAdvertise With UsExtra Content


Copyright 2016 NewsTribune, LaSalle, Illinois. All rights reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved